Hair transplants for men: the benefits and how it works
For many men in Singapore, the journey of dealing with hair loss, thinning, and balding can be a challenging and distressing experience. Fortunately, medical technology has made hair transplants a viable solution to restore hair.
In this guide, we’ll look at hair transplants and how they can help men who are unhappy with their hair condition.
What are hair transplants?
Hair transplants are surgical procedures that involve the removal of hair follicles from one part of your body (usually the back or sides of the head) and transplantation to the bald or thinning areas. This process allows for new hair growth, offering a lasting solution to hair loss with graft survival rates of over 90%.
Types of hair transplants and how they work
Follicular Unit Transplantation (FUT)
FUT is also known as the strip method of hair transplantation. This method calls for the removal of a patch of scalp from the donor area, which is then microscopically cut into individual follicular units. The surgeon then makes small incisions in the recipient area and implants these follicular units, ensuring a natural-looking hairline.
Follicular Unit Extraction (FUE)
FUE is a minimally invasive treatment that uses a tiny punch instrument to extract individual hair follicles from the donor area. These follicles are then individually implanted into the recipient area. FUE hair transplant is usually less invasive and leaves less scarring compared to FUT.
Benefits of hair transplants for men
Hair transplants provide more natural-looking results compared to other hair restoration methods. Because the transplanted hair is your own, it can fit well enough with your existing hair so that no one can tell the difference.
Hair transplants, unlike wigs or topical treatments, are permanent solutions to hair loss. Once the transplanted hair follicles start growing, they remain there indefinitely.
One of the most significant benefits of hair transplants for men is the boost in self-confidence. A fuller head of hair often translates to increased self-esteem and a more youthful appearance.
Transplanted hair requires no special care. You can cut, style, and groom it just like the rest of your hair—no need for expensive shampoos, topical treatments, or other maintenance routines.
Cost-effective in the long run
While the price of a hair transplant may seem significant, it is a one-time investment. A hair transplant can be more cost-effective in the long run compared to the ongoing costs of other hair loss treatments, such as medications and hairpieces.
After a hair transplant
Understanding what to expect and how to take care of your newly transplanted hair is crucial.
- Avoid strenuous exercise for at least a week after the surgery.
- Protect your head from direct sunlight to prevent sunburn and minimise swelling.
- Follow the prescribed medication regimen, including pain relief, antibiotics, and hair care products.
- Avoid smoking and alcohol, as they can hinder the healing process.
- Following your surgeon’s guidance, wash your hair gently for a few days.
Recovery timelines may vary for different individuals, but here’s a general overview of what you can expect.
- First 24-48 hours: You may experience discomfort, swelling, and mild pain in the donor and recipient areas.
- Days 2-5: Swelling and redness should start to subside. Following your surgeon’s post-operative instructions regarding cleaning and protecting the grafts is essential.
- Week 2-3: The transplanted hair will begin to fall out. This process is entirely normal and part of the natural growth cycle. New hair will grow in its place.
- Months 3-12: You’ll begin to see the new hair growth, which will continue to improve over the next 12 months.
Results and expectations
You must have realistic expectations of the results of a hair transplant. While the results are generally positive, there are a few things to keep in mind.
- Initial shock loss: You may experience hair loss in the weeks following the treatment, known as “shock loss,” which is a normal part of the process.
- Patience is key: New hair growth is a gradual process. It may take several months to see significant improvements. Be patient and trust the process.
- Maintenance: While the transplanted hair is permanent, it’s essential to maintain your existing hair and overall scalp health to ensure a harmonious appearance.
- Consultation with a specialist: The best way to manage your expectations is by consulting a qualified hair transplant specialist. They can assess your case and guide you on what to expect from the procedure.
Fuller hair with hair transplants
Hair transplants offer many benefits for men dissatisfied with their balding and thinning hair. If you are considering a hair transplant, consult a qualified specialist who can guide you through the process.
At Alaxis Aesthetics we provide FUE hair transplant in Singapore for both men and women. Our committed team of experts are experienced in hair transplantation techniques and other hair restoration treatments.
Book a consultation today.“”