Skin is by far the largest organ of the body. It covers and protects the internal organs and also shields the body against the invasion of infections. The importance of skin as an organ demands that it must be taken care of in the best possible manner.
A good skin has an immense effect both on external appearance and inner confidence. If good care is provided to the skin it will remain fresh and free from blemishes, etc.
It is only natural that people want to stay young forever. While the advanced years and the environmental factors may be taking a toll on your skin, there are many ways to counter the aging effect. Use of peels is one of the most popular techniques to counter the aging effects.
What is Skin Peeling?
Peeling is a cosmetic treatment for the skin. The peels treatment can be performed by a professional dermatologist or even at a beautician’s. However, the treatment by a dermatologist is highly recommended. The treatment using facial peels is aimed at the removal of skin problems like blemishes, wrinkles, scarring, freckles, etc. The treatment is aimed at resolving skin problems whereby your skin appears younger and rejuvenated after the treatment. This treatment is also known by the name of the dermapeel or dermabrasion.
Types of Skin Peels
There are various types of facial peels or derma-peels available. The two main types of facial peels are:
- Chemical Peels:Chemical skin peels use various chemical solutions which soften your skin and ultimately help in its exfoliation. There are various types of chemical peels available which differ in their composition as well as effects:
- Beta Hydroxy Acids: This chemical peel is well known for its skin penetration. The application of this chemical peel has been found fruitful in the treatment of the acne scarring as well as deep skin exfoliation. Examples include salicylic acid.
- Retinoic Acid: The dermatologists often refer the deep peel cases to a plastic surgeon. Retinoic acid peel is one of the many techniques that he may employ for dermabrasion. This technique is very successful for the balancing of uneven skin tone and wrinkle removal.
- Natural Peels: The natural peels make an effective use of various natural products that help in skin exfoliation thus giving it a new life. The natural peels comprise mainly of the products that are available in your kitchen garden as well.
- Alpha hydroxy acid peels: The sources include sour milk, orange extract etc. These are a sub-type of natural peels. The alpha hydroxy acids are popular for their gentle treatment and are mostly employed in the cases that require the therapy for acne scarring, uneven skin tones and faint wrinkles.
The chemical peels must preferably be administered by a professional dermatologist while the natural peel treatment can even be performed at home or at a beautician.
Difference between Facial and Body Peels
Different types of skin peels vary from each other in their chemical composition. The pH of a peel is a very important characteristic which plays a major role in determining the use to which a peel must be put. There are two main types of peels with respect to area of application:
- Facial Peels: applied mainly to the face or neck region
- Body Peels: applied to hands, arms, legs and other body parts, apart from face
These two types of peels differ from each other mainly in the PH as well as penetration and abrasiveness.
- Superficial/Mild Peels: Also referred to as the light peels, these peels are the higher pH peels which have only a superficial effect. Several sittings might be required to have a more pronounced effect on the skin problem being treated using these peels. On the plus side, these peels fall in the category of the lunchtime cosmetic procedures, and one can carry about the usual routine without any significant issues.
- Moderate Peels: The use of moderate peels is less penetrative as compared to the deeper peels but goes in deeper than the superficial peel. Usually recommended for the people with the darker skin tones, it is one of the treatments that can cause a certain discomfort including itching, soreness and reddening to the subject. The recovery time is also long but the technique is very beneficial for remedial skin treatment like wrinkles removal and balancing uneven skin tones.
- Deep Peels: The deep peels can literally do wonders for the skin like removing all sign of skin damage due to exposure to the UV radiations as well as the removal of wrinkles and deep scarring. However, the procedure is complicated and the skin appears scarred even days after the treatment which implies a lengthy recovery time.
What to look in Skin Peels for Different Skin Types?
While facial and body peels can do wonders for your skin, the right choice of a best chemical peel is critical. This is because different types of peels have varying effects on the skin and thus not every peel is suited for application to all the skin types. In fact, the type of skin is one of the foremost factors to be considered before opting for a specific dermapeel.
As mentioned earlier that the peels vary in their penetration depth. Thus, the choice of peel is also dependent on the end objective which needs to be met. Depending on the objective of dermabrasion and skin type, a peel from superficial, moderate or deep categories might be chosen. In order to ensure that the chosen method is suitable for application to a particular skin type, a visit to the dermatologist is highly recommended.
What the Skin Peeling Does?
A peel essentially imparts a new and brighter appearance to the skin. However, apart from freshening, peels are also employed for acne treatment, as a remedy for mild or deep skin scarring and wrinkle removal. The use of peels has noticed effect on the uneven skin tones and the skin which has been damaged by exposure to the sunlight.
The peels exploit the skin’s ability to heal itself. A peel basically removes the dead skin thus bringing a fresh and new skin to the surface. The peel mixture is applied to the skin and left on it for some time. The skin becomes softer and easier to remove or exfoliate. After the skin is rinsed, a fresh new skin comes on the top.
How to Choose Peels?
The choice of peels depends on the problems to be taken care of. The choice of for the treatment of various skin problems should be made by mutual consultation between the patient and the dermatologist or surgeon. Before making the choice of peel, the dermatologist should impart the pros and cons of each method or treatment.
The dermapeels with pH 2.5 above can also be administered by a beautician, in fact, many of such peels are produced as an over the counter product. However, professional advice of a dermatologist or skin specialist and surgeon becomes critical when a lower pH peel is chosen for treatment.
Benefits of Skin Peeling
The peels are an effective remedy for many skin problems like skin acnes, skin scarring, sun damaged skin, wrinkle treatment, making uneven tone consistent, aging etc. However, it may also be employed simply to freshen up the skin and make it look revitalized and brightened.
Dos and Don’ts for Peels
Always remember to consult your dermatologist before settling for a particular skin peel treatment. Another important aspect is to inform your dermatologist of any particular skin allergy or general allergies that you suffer from as it may affect your choice of peel treatment. Since skin peeling brings a new skin to the surface, it also implies that the newly exposed skin is very sensitive. To protect this new skin against sun damage, it is important to wear a sunscreen daily.
Though dermapeels are quite effective, don’t expect a single treatment to cure all your skin problems. Often more than one sitting is required to achieve a noticeable difference, especially in case of light peels. Don’t hesitate to question your dermatologist about the procedure to be performed and ensure that all your ambiguities have been cleared.
Frequently Asked Question’s (FAQ’s):
Why Should I Use a Peels?
Peels have been developed to treat the problematic skin conditions. You should use peels for your best skin treatment if you suffer from any of the following problems:
- Lined Skin
- Wrinkles and Laugh lines
- Enlarged pores
- Loose/Hanging skin
- Acne vulgaris
- Skin inflammation
- Skin scarring
The use of peels is recommended for treatment of other than above listed problems as well, the details of which can be provided to you by your dermatologist.
Is it Possible to Peel Too Often?
The number of peel skin treatment depends on the type of treatment, intensity of the peels and the problem to be treated. Other factors like skin sensitivity and skin response also need to be taken into account. A skin specialist is the best person to advise you on the optimum number of treatments that your skin must receive.
Can I Skip the Peeling process?
The choice of opting for a peels treatment is entirely up to you; however professional advice must be sought and acted upon. You can consult your dermatologist in this respect and after mutual consultation decide whether to continue with the procedure or skip it. On the other hand, it is necessary to complete the entire treatment to see a noticeable result.
Is it necessary to use different peels at summer and winter time?
While various peels have different effects on your skin, generally the peels treatment is not dependent on the season in which the procedure is being performed. In fact the choice of peels depends more on your skin type and the problem that needs to be treated.
Is Peeling safe if you have skin problems?
As it has repeatedly been emphasized, the peels treatment should never be done without consultation with a dermatologist. The dermatologist should be made aware of any allergy or skin problem that you suffer from so that the right choice of the peel can be made. In case of wrong choice, severe effects of peeling may occur.
Is scrub safe after peeling?
The newly exposed skin is highly sensitive. It is recommended that application of any skin products must first be checked with the dermatologist. In general cases, the use of scrub must be avoided, since the skin has already been exfoliated during the peels treatment.
Is a chemical peel the right choice for you?
The choice of the chemical peel is dependent on the end objective and skin type. A dermatologist is the right person to consult who can answer all your queries regarding a chemical peel.
Peeling is a treatment which is used to exfoliate the skin and solve skin problems. The treatment can be used to solve skin problems like scarring and wrinkles. There are various types of peels available like superficial peels, moderate peels and deep peels which differ in their application and problem that they are used to treat. The choice of peels treatment must be only after consultation with a dermatologist.