Pros and Cons of Using Botox Over a Long Period of Time to Reshape Women`s Face. Is There a Long-term Alternative?
Botox use is one of the most frequently performed cosmetic procedures and is a common procedure that clinicians want to incorporate into their aesthetic practice. Botox is injected into the upper one-third of the face and is effective in the treatment of facial wrinkles, with few side effects and increased customer satisfaction.
Small quantities of Botox injection are administered into specific muscles resulting in muscle relaxation that smoothens the overlying skin and reduces wrinkles. Although Botox has been used off-label for cosmetic facial indications, it is a drug of choice for the treatment of wrinkles for frown lines, horizontal forehead lines, and crow`s feet.
- The use of Botox in reshaping the mandibular angle in the Asian population is well-established and it has achieved aesthetic improvement in shaping the lower face.
- The technique is non-invasive
- Leaves no scar
- Has low-recovery period
- Safe in small doses
- Complications are uncommon and those that occur are mild and short-term
- Highly effective
- It has short-term anti-aging properties
- Requires a medical professional
- Temporal denervation of adjacent muscles near the treatment area if treatment is given by a less skilled person
- Lowering of the upper eyelid characterized by muscle fatigue
- Undesired eyebrow shape related to unintended Botox effects in the frontalis muscle
- Facial asymmetry due to uneven dosing of botulinum toxin
- Formation of antibodies which can render the Botox treatment ineffective
- Dry eyes
- Excessive tearing
Botox treatment is a safe medication for the treatment of facial wrinkles. The majority of side effects and complications are reversible, however, there is a possibility of acquiring muscle atrophy after a long time. Nevertheless, more research is required for long-term effects of Botox treatment.
Besides vitamins, use of facial creams and peels a better alternative to Botox are facial muscle exercise or Cosmetic Acupuncture
Always work with a licensed medical professional when you opt for Botox treatment to reduce the risks of complications.
See more about Dr Donald Ng at about me or complete the form below for a consultation