What causes Acne?
There are several factors resulting in acne. The main culprits would be defective pore and rising hormone levels. There is also a hereditary part . Androgens, a type of hormone, increase in both boys and girls during puberty and can cause the sebaceous glands to enlarge and make more sebum. If they are also born with a slightly defective pore (piliosebeaous gland), then these pores will clog up and result in acne.
Acne treatment aims to;
- Prevent the pore from getting blocked.
- Kill the bacteria (P. Acnes) that lived into the pore.
- Reduce sebum production.
Based on the above concept:
- Exfoliating creams (PHA, BHA creams) daily, chemical peels treatments and carbon laser peel treatments to clear the clogs and prevent the pores from getting blocked. We cannot over emphasis the importance of washing off all make-up before going to bed. This is especially important for anyone who is accustomed to using heavy make-up, eg. stage make-up is by far the worst we have seen.
- Topical or oral antibiotics daily to kill the bacteria.
- Vitamin A creams or oral vitamin A daily as well as provide laser treatments to reduce sebum production.
- On top of that, the use of oral contraceptive pill can aid acne problems that are hormonal dependent.
What can go wrong?
These treatments and skincare products are very safe. No worries about downtime. The skin may be sensitive initially in the1st 2 weeks of use. There are some restrictions such as sun protection while under treatment. Chemical peels may make your skin more sensitive in the first 2-3 weeks.
The the many treatments and procedures we carry out at Alexis Aesthetics by using this link or read more on Deep Dermal Rejuvenation here.